High school football: Lansing State Journal Dream Team
HOW WE PICKED
Dream Team and all-area teams selected by LSJ reporter Denny Schwarze, based upon input from area high school football coaches.
QB Ryan Wieber
DeWitt senior, 5-9, 156
• Threw for 1,050 yards and seven TDs and ran for 1,585 yards (8.9 yards per carry) and 21 TDs. Division 3-4 all-state honorable mention.
RB Anthony Goodman
Sexton senior, 5-11, 170
• Ran for 1,551 yards on just 197 carries (7.8 yards per carry) and 19 TDs, with 15 coming in his last five games. Also caught two TDs and was Division 3-4 all-state honorable mention.
RB Saylor LaVallii
Mason senior, 5-8, 205
• Ran for 1,326 yards on 231 carries and had 33 rushing TDs on his way to being named to the Division 3-4 all-state team. Also was a standout in the Bulldogs secondary.
WR Matt Macksood
Lansing Catholic senior, 6-0, 170
• Caught 94 passes for 1,585 yards and 21 TDs while also running for 800 yards (10.0 yards per carry) and eight TDs. Also had a kickoff return for a TD and was named to the Division 5-6 all-state team.
WR Kyle Bryson
Leslie senior, 6-2, 180
• Caught 50 passes for 826 yards (16.5 yards per catch) and hauled in 14 TDs en route to a spot on the Division 5-6 all-state team.
OL Taylor Moton
Okemos senior, 6-5, 285
• Helped pave the way for a powerful rushing attack as the Chieftains won a playoff game for the first time since 1986. Special mention on the Division 1-2 all-state team.
OL Ben Steward
Holt senior, 6-7, 290
• Powerful lineman that helped Holt to 10th playoff appearance in 12 years. Honorable mention on the Division 1-2 all-state team.
OL Matt Thornton
Owosso senior, 6-5, 290
• Blocked for an offense that put up almost 30 points per game and helped Owosso to their first winning record since 2001. Division 3-4 all-state honorable mention selection.
OL Preston Scheurer
Portland senior, 6-3, 330
• A road grader on a line that helped Portland rush for more than 300 yards per game. Named to the Division 3-4 all-state team.
OL Gavin Smith
Pewamo-Westphalia senior, 6-2, 210
• Two-way standout also led P-W with 154 tackles at his linebacker spot, garnering a Division 7-8 all-state honorable mention selection at that position.
Page 2 of 2)
K Evan Fischer
Holt senior, 5-10, 175
• Hit 11 field goals and was 25 of 25 on extra points. Of his 45 kickoffs, 27 were touchbacks. Named to Division 1-2 all-state team.
DL Corey Arnouts
Grand Ledge senior, 6-2, 250
• Had 80 tackles, including 28 for losses, and also recorded five sacks. Named Division 1-2 all-state honorable mention.
DL Kyren Kemp
Sexton senior, 5-11, 220
• Linebacker and hybrid rush end had 96 tackles, inlcuding 17 for losses, nine sacks and three fumble returns for TDs.
DL Corey Hungerford
Fulton senior, 6-4, 220
• Had 102 tackles, 18 sacks, three fumbles forced, two fumble recoveries and one blocked kick from his defensive end spot.
LB Garrett Miniard
Ithaca senior, 5-10, 225
• Had 138 tackles and ran for 17 TDs to help Ithaca win a second straight state title. Named to the Division 5-6 all-state first team.
LB Chris Hagan
East Lansing senior, 5-10, 194
• Had 178 tackles (about 15 per game), including four for losses. Also recovered four fumbles, forced four more and had an interception to earn Division 1-2 all-state honorable mention.
LB Ethan Rennaker
DeWitt senior, 5-11, 175
• Finished with 137 tackles and four passes batted down on his way to Division 3-4 all-state honorable mention.
DB Jarad Motley
Okemos senior, 6-2, 185
• Had 52 tackles and five interceptions as a two-year starter for Okemos and was first-team all-league in a tough CAAC Blue.
DB Garrett Fuhrman
Eastern senior, 5-9, 170
• Had 95 tackles and was named to the CAAC Blue all-conference first team. Earned all-league honors for the third straight year.
DB Thomas McNamara
Mason senior, 6-1, 190
• In his first year starting on defense, McNamara had 80 tackles and four interceptions. Also totaled 21 TDs as the starting quarterback for the Bulldogs.
DB Travis Smith
Ithaca sophomore, 6-1, 185
• Ballhawk who had five interceptions and nine pass breakups. Also accounted for 3,278 yards and 48 TDs as quarterback for the Yellowjackets.
P Caden Kipp
Alma junior, 6-1, 185
• Averaged 38.6 yards per punt, with a long of 65, and placed 13 punts inside Alma opponents' 20-yard line. Also had 745 receiving yards with eight TDs and was all-TVC first team at both punter and receiver for the Panthers.